27 July 2009

Just another regular update

Its the start of another week, a boring boring Monday.. Boss implemented a rule of "No Mandarin" during office hours, this is to encourage us to speak/communicate in English as it should be our main or 1st language. The reason she gave was that all our standards in English are dropping and coz we are in a department that's supposed to be embracing English, this is clearly not the case.. She mentioned that our mind will be conditioned to think or construct sentences in Chinese since we use it so frequently, so in order to ensure that our English standards do not continue to fall, she needs to implement this rule.. =p

Agreed with her on this suggestion, but I felt that its a bit tough especially when she 1st announced it. Why so?? Usually we tend to brief the designers in Mandarin (sprinkled with a dash of English) as it was easier to communicate and bring our thoughts across. In addition, I always felt that i sound more stern when I communicate in English, or I find myself at a loss of words when I am required to converse in English, which I realised that its a no-no. Citing an incident that happened straight after the meeting (our weekly Monday status meeting with the whole department), I found myself feeling frustrated and accidentally raised my voice at my colleague as I was at a loss of words to convey the message across. This incident has set me thinking, " OMG, I think I really need to brush up on my communication skills, be it in English or any other language. But think should start with my English 1st."

I've also came to realise that if we don't try, we will never know. If we kept thinking that this will be a damn difficult task, we will never succeed. In fact, I will make sure that my blogging is done in proper English sentences or at the very least, no grammar mistakes. So if you guys spot any mistakes I made, pls holler to me so I will be aware. ;) And I will make a conscious effort to practise more.

Lastly, just a little quote to brighten someone's day:

I love you - those three words have my life in them.
~ by Alexandrea to Nicholas III ~

Bliss - a feeling after receiving 3 beautiful roses from him on our date. =)

4 comments:

Shingo T said...

You sure look like a lady in bliss. =p

I can't recall the last time I gave roses to my wife. Haha.

Evil-Lin said...

Hahah Shingo, thank you. I sure am a lady in bliss. ;)

I told him that women are confused creatures.. they can get angry with you when u overspend a slight bit, but when the overspend is due to buying her flowers, she will love u to bits.

so i suggest that u buy ur wife flowers often!

clatzz said...

ur office is like school... cannot speak mandarin... haha...

lidat can i comment in broken engrish?? haha

Evil-Lin said...

hahaha you got it right. My boss is like Mrs Tay, the disciplinary mistress. =)

If you speak not powderful engrish, its okie neh. :D